April 22 is Earth Day!
Here are some of our favourite tips for observing Earth Day 2014 with friends and family:
- Leave the car at home! Discover Vancouver on foot, by bike or public transit. Take the SkyTrain downtown then walk along the Sea Wall to appreciate our ocean and forests.
- While you’re wandering the Sea Wall, do your part to rid Vancouver beaches of litter. Play a game with your kids – first one to throw out five pieces of garbage gets ice cream, perhaps? Just make sure you are careful to prevent them picking up cigarette butts or broken glass.
- Design your garden with local vegetation! Use plants that are accustomed to your climate, instead of ones that require lots of water or fertilizer. It’s a great way to protect our precious water reserves and to cut down on your hydro bill!
- Plant flowers that will attract butterflies, bees, hummingbirds and other pollinators to your garden.
- Plant wildflowers to help reduce soil erosion.
Do you have an Earth Day tradition? What do you do year-round to protect our environment?