Celebrating St. Patrick’s Day…
Regardless of your heritage, you are most likely aware of St Patrick’s Day. What started out as an Irish holiday, is now celebrated by people of all backgrounds in the United States, Canada, Australia, and even in other locations far from Ireland like Japan, Singapore, and Russia.
St Patrick’s Day has historically been the day that the Irish recognize St Patrick, the patron saint and national apostle of Ireland. St Patrick is credited with bringing Christianity to Ireland.
Today St Patrick’s Day has come to be associated with everything Irish: all things green, shamrocks, leprechauns, and luck. Instead of just allowing it to pass as just another special day for someone else, why not make it an event for you to celebrate? Here are some ways for you to do so:
Here are 5 ways to have fun on St. Patricks Day:
1. Wear a bit o’ the green for the day. One of the reasons for St Patrick’s Day’s popularity is that it takes place just a few days before the first day of spring. What a better way to welcome spring than by wearing green?
2. Attend a St Patrick’s Day parade. All around the world, parades are organized to mark St Patrick’s Day. Check with local organizers for details of time and parade route.
3. Check out your local Irish pub, and indulge in their music and songs; and in their food and drink. Have a pint of Guinness, or perhaps a green beer!
4. Surprise friends or loved ones with a call or email to wish them a happy St Patrick’s Day. Better still, send them a special St Patrick’s Day gift basket.
5. Throw a St Patrick’s Day party, and serve either traditional Irish fare or go green with the food. With green food, all you need is your imagination and some creativity. Serve green spinach pasta, or bake green-colored cookies and cakes. Add green food coloring to your sodas, beer and cocktails. And don’t forget green fruit and vegetables like kiwi fruit, green apples, grapes and celery sticks.
Happy St Patrick’s Day!