January seems like such a long time ago! Lucky for British Columbians, Family Day was originally created to give people time to spend with their families but it also provides a day off between New Year’s Day and Good Friday as they are approximately three months apart.
Make Family day an opportunity to celebrate a weekend of family fun!
Did you know that more than 30,000 people accepted Premier Christy Clark’s invitation to go online and vote for a statutory holiday in BC in February. That day is Family Day, and we will be celebrating the first-ever Family Day on February 11.
There are a number of events planned to celebrate the day:
- Twenty BC ski resorts are offering BC residents 50% discounts on ski lift tickets for the day (visit the Canada West Ski Areas Association( http://www.cwsaa.org/marketing/bc-family-day.html ) for more details)
- A trip to Squamish to see the bald eagles that gather there by the hundreds to feast on salmon returning to the ocean after spawning
- When you’re tired of the spectacle of eagles fighting over fish, drop by the nearby Britannia Mining Museum and take the plunge down a mine shaft in a tram
- Ice skating at the rink in Robson Square (if you don’t have skates, you can rent a pair for $40.00)
- Vancouver Art Gallery is hosting hands-on workshops for families so explore your inner Degas
- Vancouver Aquarium’s new exhibit The Secret World of Sharks and Rays will be open extended hours (from 9:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.)
- Chinese New Year falls on February 10; visit the Aberdeen Centre Mall for New Year celebrations or head downtown on February 17th for the annual Chinese New Year parade (get the details here: http://www.cbavancouver.ca/parade.html)
- Finally, BC Ferries are offering a special rate break – children under 11 travel free with an accompanying adult on any ferry route – from February 8 through 11
- Telus is sponsoring a special Family Day (featuring autograph sessions, live music, interactive games, popcorn, hot chocolate and more) before the Vancouver Giants take on the Portland Winterhawks at the Pacific Coliseum
We wish you a fun and safe long weekend!