Have you noticed that the nights are getting longer? The sun doesn’t rise until 8:00, and sets around 5:45. That’s a mere eight hours of daylight every day. But there is reason for good cheer despite the darkness.
First, the clocks go back on Sunday, November 2nd to give us an extra hour of daytime for the winter months. And, second, the winter solstice is only a few short weeks away. December 21st will be the shortest day of the year, but the days start getting longer immediately afterwards.
In the meantime, here are a couple of suggestions for those long winter nights:
- Binge-view your favourite TV show. With online streaming, there is a huge catalogue to choose from – Downton Abbey, Boardwalk Empire, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Game of Thrones, Big Bang Theory, Hell on Wheels.
- Exercise that gym membership that’s been languishing all summer. A workout releases serotonin, a chemical that helps fight depression brought on by the lower levels of sunshine.
- Gather friends and family for game night. Board games are great tools for sharpening the mind and encouraging strategic thinking. Solving jigsaw puzzles strengthens your analytical and problem-solving skills. Playing bridge covers everything. Even Buffett recommends it.
- Read a book. Your newspaper offers weekly book suggestions and includes the best sellers list to give you some ideas.
- Start whittling down your Christmas To Do list. If you mail cards, check addresses and update your mailing list. If you email cards, make sure that your address book is up to date to avoid getting marked as a spammer from too many bounce-backs.
- Take a cooking class and invite your friends over for dinner using your new-found culinary skills. Won’t they be surprised!
- Visit us online to see our fabulous selections. We’ll take care of all the details so you can relax and enjoy your holiday season. Let the gift giving begin!
There are so many ways to get through the dark days of winter. You can improve your health, sharpen your mind, and build bonds with just a little planning. So, arrange a trip to the gym, join a book club, gather friends and family for games night. You’ll be saddened when the Winter Solstice arrives.
All my best,
Our innovative branded merchandise helps you build relationships and communicate your brand and vision.